Welcome OSUCOM Incoming Class of 2017, and Happy New Academic Year to all!
Read on to learn more about how to get involved in USIG this Fall.
Be sure to stop at our station at the student organization fair Tuesday, August 15th at 3:30pm and attend our first general meeting Tuesday, September 19th at 5:30pm all in Meiling!
Be there or be square.
Scanning and competitions and prizes... OH MY!
We are happy to announce our 4th Annual UltraFest, a FREE Ultrasound Symposium hosted by USIG, is coming up on October 8th here on the campus of THE Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.
We are expecting more than 200 medical, undergraduate and high school students from across the Buckeye State and beyond. You will gain hands-on point-of-care ultrasound experience using the most cutting edge ultrasound equipment.
As part of the experience, you will receive:
- FREE breakfast and lunch
- FREE t-shirt (if you submit a design for the t-shirt here by Friday, September 8th!)
- The opportunity to earn bragging rights by winning the ultrasound competition
- Last but not least, the ability to help YOUR patients by answering questions only point-of-care ultrasound can answer
- Beginner Ultrasound is excited to welcome the incoming class of 2017! Applications for BUS will be sent out on August 9th and will be due on August 23rd. More information about BUS will be disseminated in the coming weeks.
- Fall Plans
- Tuesday, September 5th, 5-7:30 pm, 6th floor Prior (US Physics and Knobology)
- Tuesday, October 10th, 5-7:30 pm, 6th floor Prior (US Physics and Knobology)
- Questions? Contact Jess Wolf (email@example.com) or Kyle McAtee (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Intermediate Ultrasound is excited to announce a NEW IUS Curriculum for the 2017-2018 academic year! The scans will be closely linked to the material being covered at the time of the scan according to the 2nd year LSI Curriculum.
- Applications for IUS will be sent out on August 9th and will be due August 23rd. More information about IUS will be coming out shortly!
- Fall Plans
- IUS Orientation- August 28th, 5-6pm, Conference Room CSEAC
- Tuesday, September 5th, 5-7:30 pm, 6th floor Prior (Aorta Scan)
- Tuesday, October 10th, 5-7:30 pm, 6th floor Prior (Aorta Scan)
- Questions? Contact Anthony Vargas (email@example.com) or Martina Diaz-Bobillo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Fall Plans
- Tuesday, September 5th, 5-7pm, 6th Prior - AUS Scanning (Pulsed Wave Doppler)
- Tuesday, September 12th, 5-6pm, 6th Prior - AUS Path Lecture*
- Information about scan to precede session via email
- Questions? Contact Amber, email@example.com
*Medical Students of all training levels are welcome to attend AUS Path Lectures
- August Honors Ultrasound Events
- Open Scanning Session - August 10th from 5-7 pm (CSEAC)
- Journal Club (USRIG students welcome as well!) - August 16th from 5-8 pm (CSEAC)
- Anesthesiology US - August 23rd from 5-6 pm (CSEAC)
- Abdominal US - August 23rd from 6-7 pm (CSEAC)
- Questions? Contact Dr. Bahner firstname.lastname@example.org
Trained Simulated Ultrasound Patient (TSUP)
- We are excited to invite the incoming M1 class to join the TSUP family! Information about becoming a TSUP will be disseminated in the coming weeks.
- Fall Plans
- Tuesday, August 22nd, 3-4:30 pm, 6th floor Prior - Lab B - Hepatobiliary
- Wednesday, August 23,1-3 pm, 6th floor Prior - Lab A - GI
- Thursday, August 24th, 1-4:30 pm, 6th floor Prior - Lab B - Hepatobiliary
- Friday, August 25, 9-3 pm, 6th floor Prior - AMHBC (EM)
- More information about these scanning sessions can be found in the TSUP signup sheet
- Questions? Contact Kyle and Jess at email@example.com
- We have several proctoring opportunities coming up, and we are always in need of proctors. So please consider signing up for one of the following events.
- August Opportunities to Proctor
- Tuesday, August 22nd, 1:30-4:30pm, 6th Floor Prior - Hepatobiliary Ultrasound
- Thursday, August 24th, 1:30-4:30pm, 6th Floor Prior - Hepatobiliary Ultrasound
- Sign up HERE!
- Contact Max to sign up to be a proctor: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ultrasound Research Interest Group (USRIG)
- Through USRIG we hope to enhance the efforts of research in ultrasound at the medical student level. Stay tuned for more opportunities to get involved!
- HUS Journal Club (USRIG students welcome as well!) - August 16th from 5-8 pm (CSEAC)
- Questions? Contact USRIG President Rohit Menon
USIG Engagement Committee
- If you have any questions, concerns, or ideas for USIG, you can submit feedback anonymously.
- We want to hear your feedback on OBGYN US at OSUCOM. Make your voice heard here.
- Fall Plans
- Games, competitions, social events, extra scanning sessions - we'll keep you updated as we confirm dates and activities!
- Questions or comments? Contact Michael!
CASE OF THE MONTH
A 68 yo male presented to the ED with RUQ pain for the past 2 hours. He states that he has been feeling this type of pain on multiple occasions over the past two months, and it is worsened with eating fast food. Above is the ultrasound image you obtain when scanning his RUQ. Based on his presentation and the image, from what could this patient be suffering?
Advice to our new M1's! From the USIG Exec Board:
Take time to do what you love, especially when you're feeling stressed.
~Jess Wolf, M2 | BUS/TSUP Coordinator
Don't second guess your abilities.
~Kyle McAtee, M2 | BUS/TSUP Coordinator
Never be ashamed to ask for help.
~Martina Diaz, M2 | IUS Coordinator
2x speed for eModules = your friend.
~Nayan Shah, M2 | Industry Relations Coordinator
Don't buy into the idea that medical school is all studying. If you want to have fun, you'll make the time.
~Yalan Vu, M2 | Secretary
You're going to be getting a lot of advice over the next few weeks - don't feel like you have to take all of it! Just go at your own pace and find what works for you.
~Michael Howell, M3 | USIG COP Senior Coordinator
Be sure to keep up with your friends and hobbies that are outside of medical school.
~Charles McCombs, M3 | USIG Vice President
YOU DID IT! You followed your dreams and now you get to embark upon this fantastic journey to help others through the profession of medicine at one of THE greatest medical centers in America. Enjoy every second of this wonderful opportunity! :)
~Antoinette Pusateri, M4 | USIG President
Why just read when you can be a part of it? LIVE anatomy, physiology and fun!
~Creagh Boulger, MD, RDMS | Faculty Advisor
It's your future NOW! Join US!
~David Bahner, MD, RDMS | Faculty Advisor